Thursday, September 5, 2013

Laundry Detergent ReVisited

For the last four years I have been making my own laundry soap. I made the switch when the store bought Tide bottles kept getting smaller and the price getting bigger. I kept thinking in my head. Why is store bought laundry detergent SO expensive? Plus making my own laundry detergent was a great way to take additional steps into natural living.

You can find my original Laundry Detergent Recipe here, Suds or No Suds.



My original recipe included using a Fels Naptha Soap bar but because of my concerns of the ingredients in the soap bar. Plus I was not crazy about the smell of the Fels Naptha soap bar. I swapped it for a homemade oil based Lavender Soap Bar.


Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
1 Bar 5 ounce bar of Handmade Lavender Soap
2 cups of Washing Soda or Baking Soda
2 cups of Borax Powder
A few drops of Lavender Essential Oil
Simply grate the soap bar, then mix it with the wash soda and borax. I put the three ingredients in a food processor to create a fine powder.
Directions:
Use 1 Tbsp of Laundry Soap per load.

I love the new heavenly smell of my laundry detergent. Plus, I am happy to be taking additional steps towards avoiding possible harmful chemicals.

Why I ditched the Fels Naptha soap bar?  It contains petro chemicals, stoddard solvent, artificial color and artificial fragrance. Just like most commercially made laundry products Fels Naptha can irritate sensitive people or pets.

Let’s break down what’s in these ingredients?
Borax is a naturally occurring mineral made up of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water.
Washing Soda or Baking Soda which is sometimes called sodium carbonate or soda ash, is made from common salt and limestone or natural deposits.
Handmade Lavender Soap is created with pure olive oil, palm and coconut oil. Scented with lavender essential oil.

Happy Washing and Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Smiles, Paula


{ Follow Me On Pinterest } Paula Parrish

No comments: